Faith Matters - Current Posts

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Seeking Confirmation

There’s nothing quite like a free trip! Recently I cashed in some frequent flyer miles. I went online, entered my Frequent Flyer number, chose my destination and travel dates, and selected my flights. I was issued a confirmation number but I wanted to talk to a real person to make sure. So I called the 800 number. The agent said, “You’ve got an e-ticket.” Well, I wanted something more tangible so she offered further confirmation by e-mail, fax, or by mail. I told her that I would like all three. I really wanted to be sure I was getting that trip!
I was reminded of St. Peter’s words when he told us to be “eager to make your calling and election sure.” Peter wasn’t writing about an airline destination, but about our eternal destination. He was talking to those of us who have called up God in prayer and asked for a reservation to go to heaven.
God gives two confirmations. First there is confirmation from the Bible. It says, “If you confess with your mouth ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Then there is a change in our behavior. Becoming a Christian changes a person’s desires and behavior. It’s not that living a good life makes us a Christian; it’s that being a Christian makes us live a better life. Seeking confirmation of our eternal destiny from God enables us to joyfully anticipate the benefits of our reservation.

Related Scripture: Romans 10:9

© 2007 Leith Anderson

No comments: