Faith Matters - Current Posts

Friday, August 17, 2007

The Church is for Everybody

Every story recorded in the Bible is there for a reason. And when a story is retold several times, you know it’s important. One such story is of a Roman army officer named Cornelius. Cornelius was a centurion in the Roman army occupying the Jewish Promised Land. It was a dangerous assignment because the Jews hated the occupying Romans.
What makes Cornelius unique was his fascination with the Jewish faith, in spite of the animosity between Romans and the Jews. Cornelius reverenced the God of the Bible. He prayed regularly. He even gave money to Jewish charities.
So why is his story included in the Bible several times? God was doing something new and different. Cornelius was the “poster child” to demonstrate that Christianity wasn’t just for Jews. Jesus died on the cross for everybody. The church is for everybody – even the improbable, like a Roman Centurion. Jesus goes after pagans and seekers.
Is Jesus pursuing you? Cornelius was on his way to becoming a Christian, but he wasn’t there yet. Are you, like Cornelius, curious about religious things? Do you pray, not really knowing God personally? If you’d like to move from being a seeker to being a real Christian, I invite you to pray this prayer with me, right now.
“Thank you, God, for pursuing me. I want to become a Christian today. I admit that I’m a sinner and I’m sorry. I know that Jesus died for my sins and is the way to eternal life. I vow my full allegiance to him today and forever. I pray this in the Name of Jesus. Amen.”

Related Scripture: Romans 6:23

© 2007 Leith Anderson

No comments: