Faith Matters - Current Posts

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

God Changes our Preferences

The Bible is full of marvelous and practical instruction to help us live with purpose. Listen to the wise advice of this Psalm:
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways.
The phrase, “Delight yourself in the Lord,” means putting God absolutely first. Whatever God wants is what we choose – even if it’s none of our preferences.
“He will give you the desires of your heart” doesn't mean we get our preferences, but that God will change our preferences to want what is best.
“Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him” means having absolute confidence that God will accomplish his purposes in our lives.
“Wait patiently” means trusting God's schedule.
“Do not fret when others succeed” means we don't need to compare; just trust God.
Allow me to put these ideas into a prayer. I encourage you to pray along with me. “God, I commit the purpose of my life to pleasing you. You will be number one all the time with everything. I trust you to fulfill your purposes in me even if that means giving up my preferences. I’ll leave the timing to you even if it means dying without knowing. My life purpose is to please you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”

Related Scripture: Psalm 37:3, 5-7 & Romans 12:2

© 2007 Leith Anderson

No comments: